The newest type of diet that is fast gaining popularity is keto, which is a low-carb, high-fat diet. It is said that once you start following this diet plan you will be able to eat all the fat you desire to (healthy of course) and will not feel hungry now and then. It even helps make your athletic performance better and if you suffer from type 2 diabetes, it will help lower the blood sugar levels.
Furthermore, a ketogenic diet helps you lose weight, fights certain types of cancer, reduces inflammation, improves energy levels, and much more. Basically, the keto diet or the ketogenic diet has something beneficial to offer to everyone.
But what exactly is a ketogenic diet and what to eat during keto diet? If such are the questions running on in your mind then continue reading and discover your answers.
What is a keto diet?
The ketogenic diet is a high fat, low carbohydrate diet plan, which helps people reach their weight loss goalsuccessfully. It also helps reduce chances of you inviting health issues like stroke, heart diseases, diabetes, epilepsy, Alzheimer’s, and so on.
When you are on a ketogenic diet, your body reaches a metabolic state known as ketosis. When in ketosis, your body, instead of using glucose, uses ketone bodies for energy. Ketone bodies, which are obtained from fat, are a much steadier and stable source of energy compared to glucose that is obtained from carbohydrates.
Your body enters ketosis within 3 to 7 days, and once you reach this state, you will be using fat for energy, including the fat already stored in your body and that which you will consume.
How to maintain your keto diet low carb limit?
Though there is no fixed keto diet low carb limit, you have to keep it really low to enter ketosis. Some people may reach the state of ketosis while enjoying a little higher carb intake, while others may have to limit their intake to less than 20 grams each day. It will be best to limit your total carb intake to 35g and net carb intake to 25g every day, and this will help you reach a deep ketosis within a week.
To make sure your carb intake is this low you have to be very careful about what you eat. Many types of food that you have on a regular basis can easily increase your carb intake and you must limit their servings. Even healthy foods like vegetables and fruits contain carbs and sugar, so make sure you learn about them before consuming them in excess. However, do not worry as there are lots that you can eat while on a ketogenic diet about which we shall learn right away.
What to eat during the keto diet?
- Seafood – Fish and shellfish are good options when you are on a ketogenic diet. Many fishes, including salmon, are rich in potassium, B vitamins, and selenium, and are almost carb-free. However, different shellfish contain different amount of carbs which you need to be aware of.
- Cheese – Cheese is delicious and healthy. There are so many types of cheese that you can have as they all are rich in fat and low in carbs and thus fits your diet plan perfectly. Cheese, though is rich in saturated fat, it does not affect the heart, and in fact, many studies show that it may only help protect your heart against diseases. Furthermore, if consumed regularly, it can help minimize aging-related loss of strength and muscle mass.
- Low-carb veggies – Non-starchy veggies are low in carbs and calories, but rich in nutrients, including vitamin C and many minerals. Most veggies have low net carb content. However, if you consume even a single serving of a starchy vegetable like beets, yam, or potatoes, then it will make you go beyond your daily acceptable carb limits.
- Poultry and meat – Poultry and fish meat contain no carbs and are high in vitamin B and many minerals like zinc, selenium, and potassium. They are also rich in proteins that help preserve muscle mass when on a low-carb diet.
- Eggs – Eggs are also a good choice for those following a keto diet. One big egg has only 1g carb and less than 6 grams protein. Furthermore, eggs are also known to trigger hormones that make you feel full and maintain stable blood sugar levels.
So, now that you know what to eat during keto diet, and are aware of the many advantages that this diet plan allows you to enjoy, it is time you start following it, get fit, look great, and open doorways to an array of health benefits.